List of Essential Practicalities in Sweden

List of Essential Practicalities in Sweden

Official Regulations and Rules on the Road in Sweden

List of practicalities for TC customers shared by ATCF, the Automobile and Touring Club of Finland

One of Touring Cars' partner, the Automobile and Touring Club of Finland (ATCF), want to share a list of practical tips for road trippers in Northern Europe. This second article covers official regulations in Sweden.


Traffic Information 

Information on the condition of roads and road works on E-roads or national highways can be found on the website of the Swedish Road Administration at (Operations/Traffic information). Traffic information can also be obtained with the V-Traffic or Waze applications.

There is a Right-hand traffic in Sweden. One must avoid coming from the right unless otherwise indicated. Many roads have additional space on the side of the lane. Slow vehicles are allowed to move temporarily to that ground to make it easier for faster vehicles to pass. However, a slow vehicle does not have an obligation to move to the side of the road.

On narrow roads, the "M" sign is used, i.e. a white capital letter M on a blue background. The sign means that there is a wider spot on a narrow road where two vehicles driving in opposite directions can bypass each other (mötesplats, bypassing point). 

Speed limits inside town are 30-50 km/h and outside town area: on roads 80 km/h or on the motorway up to 110 km/h. Vehicle-specific speed limits outside urban areas. The road-specific restrictions may be lower than this, so you should follow the traffic signs carefully.

The police have the right to impose a traffic fine and collect a small fee on the spot. Fines issued based on automatic camera surveillance are sent to the driver's home address. 

Roads and Road Tolls

European roads, national highways, and roads leading from one province to another are in good condition. Most of these roads are paved. In the spring, some roads may be closed or weight restrictions may be given due to frost damage. The roads are kept open from snow even in winter unless the weather conditions are quite exceptional.

In Sweden, infrastructure charges (Infrastrukturavgifter) and congestion charges (Trängselskatter) are used on public roads. Both Swedish and foreign registered vehicles are subject to bridge tolls, i.e. infrastructure tolls in Motala, Sundsvall, and the Skuru Bridge (Skurubron) between Stockholm and Nacka. In Stockholm and Gothenburg, a congestion tax is charged from Monday to Friday from 6:00 a.m. to 6:29 p.m. from cars, trucks, and buses weighing less than 14 tons. The fee is not charged on Saturday, Sunday, public holidays, on the eve of public holidays, or in July (except in Stockholm, it is charged on the first five weekdays of July). The fee also applies to cars registered abroad. TC Rental Station team in Stockholm will guide you on how to deal with additional tolls on your journey in Sweden.

Diesel is not always sold from automatic pumps, but the diesel filling point may be separately in the backyard of the gas station. Northern Sweden has a sparse service station network. Motorists are recommended to familiarize themselves with the location of gas stations along the route in advance. Try online service: 

Based on the Schengen agreement, there are no border checks (i.e. checks of travel documents) at the borders of Finland, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway. Border control in Sweden is the responsibility of the border police (Gränspolisen). However, border checks can be temporarily arranged if the security situation requires it. If you plan to tour also in other countries than the one from where you have picked up your rental vehicle, please remember to notify our local team. They will guide you through all necessary tips for a motorhome in each country. 

There are several ferry connections from Sweden to Finland, Denmark, Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. To find a suitable ferry connection to your road trip, please do a Google Search. Some small distance ferryboats bring you directly across the bay. To see those local connections, please visit

Safety Issues

Required documents to have on your holiday

  • Passport or identity card: If necessary, proof of identity must be provided
  • Driver's license (only B level is needed with a motorhome)
  • European health insurance card
  • Insurances

Headlights must always be used while driving. Fog lights may be used in dense fog, heavy rain, or snow, but not together with low-beam lights.

Do not mix driving and drinking on your road trip. In Sweden, alcohol laws are strict, and penalties for driving under the influence are severe. The legal limit is 0,02% blood alcohol and applies to the driver of any motorized vehicle. Avoid also medications marked with a red triangle if you intend to drive. 

Emergency numbers

  • Police 112
  • Ambulance 113
  • Fire Department 110

In case of an accident personal injuries or extensive material damage, a report must be made to the police and the rescue service. Accidents in which a wild animal is injured or killed must always be reported to the police the number 112 or 114 14. The notification must be made even if the animal is not injured.

Camping with a Motorhome

There is no law against sleeping in a vehicle that is legally parked in a public place (must be inside the marked parking space). However, there may be such prohibitions in the local ordinances (allmänna ordningsföreskrifter). Thus, it is allowed to spend the night in a motorhome in such parking places or rest areas that do not have an overnight ban or are not restricted e.g. only to small passenger cars. You can request an overnight stay permit from the landowner. In general, wild camping with a motor vehicle is not an Everyman's right, unlike camping. 

Nowadays, there are quite a lot of travel parks in Sweden, i.e. "ställplats" places for motorhomes to stay.

It is also possible to spend the night at around 270 roadside rest areas maintained by the Swedish Transport Agency (Trafikverket), although the rest areas are not considered travel parks. You may stay in the rest area for a maximum of 24 hours. See more at or  

Alternatively, you can find services on some mobile applications such as Park4night. Additionally, we recommend reading good travel tips from Visit Sweden:  

Enjoy your road trip in Sweden - the Road is Yours!


We want to thank our partner, the Automobile and Touring Club of Finland (ATCF) for sharing this essential guideline with us. ATCF is the only nationwide association of private motoring in Finland. The association is called AL Autoliitto in Finnish and this organization is a member of FiA, Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. Touring Cars and ATCF are having a collaboration in Finland: ATCF in Finland publish a magazine for motorists:

  • Original Source & copyright: The Automobile and Touring Club of Finland (ATCF)  / AL Autoliitto, Susanna Suokonautio-Hynninen
  • Translation & some TC notes have been added: Touring Cars Motorhome Rental Europe


Back to blog